Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Power to the Peculiar


I am on this mad mission to capture the essence of peculiar children the world over!!!
Why?
Because I feel there is great power in being
distinctive, different from the usual or normal, special, particular, odd, curious, eccentric, and queer.  This summer I am reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children & Quiet: The Power of Introverts In a World That Can't Stop Talking

In an excerpt from the latter: 
But we make a grave mistake to embrace the Extrovert Ideal so unthinkingly. Some of our greatest ideas, art, and inventions—from the theory of evolution to van Gogh╩╝s sunflowers to the personal computer came from quiet and cerebral people who knew how to tune in to their inner worlds and the treasures to be found there.

In a family of TYPE A's I battle constantly with being 'misunderstood' and I've exhausted myself for decades trying to fit into the great American "Extrovert Ideal"
What about us, the peculiar, makes the extrovert so uncomfortable??????

I think we need to treasure kids that don't fit the 'ideal' by immortalizing them in picture books & early readers.
WHERE ARE THE 21ST CENTURY PIPPY LONGSTOCKINGS???????
My style of illustration was recently dubbed 'peculiar'...at first that smacked of insult.  But now I don't care.  I am growing quite fond of my distinctive, odd, curious and queer cast of characters.  I just know they will one day mark their own unique place in history!





8 comments:

  1. I LOVE your children! And I have been hearing about that book for a while, it seems to describe me perfectly. I've struggled with that with my family too. That is such a hard thing to explain to others who don't feel that way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Crystal. The book is worth the read.

      Delete
  2. I second Crystal's words...I LOVE your characters. Peculiar? Who's to say? Inspired, original and full of personality? Yes. I know your work will appear in many picture books, Jen. I am applauding this quest of yours..hooray for all the kids who may not fit into the "norm". Great great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, I am so blessed to have blogging friends like you. The vote of confidence you have in my work is empowering. It is hard not knowing where I fit in with this industry so I just decided to draw for love and fun...I think that has been the missing ingredient.

      Delete
  3. Love it! Odd, peculiar, unique--words that describe an artist perfectly, I think. Your work is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ya, lady! Thank you for being such a great cheerleader. I admire true artistry like yours and Shirley's. Your work just always takes my breath away!!

      Delete
  4. What a curiously, queer style of illustration you have. THANK GOD!
    I love that finish you did of father and sons. Really great.

    I recently discovered that I am an introvert. All these years I thought I was an extrovert. NOW it all makes sense.
    Okay, I need alone time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Thank you, Ted! YES!!!! I've finally arrived at that place where I draw for me and the way I see things. I've never had more fun. I am really proud of the father/son piece. I took my time and didn't rush!
      I am a HUGE introvert...like, of the pseudo-hermit kind. I could go for days and not talk to another soul...now I just need to channel that solitude into more illo work and story writing. :)

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! Good feedback is always appreciated, but please keep it polite and classy.