Thursday, December 13, 2012

Procrastination Never Pays...

HA!!! I am so stressed about getting my entry completed for the Tomie dePaola Illustration Contest that I find myself doing things like this as I work into the wee-wee hours of the morning (after my 9-5)...


and asking myself questions like: "Does midnight Pacific time on the 14th mean, like, one minute after 11:59 pm on the 13th?  Or, does it mean no later than 11:59 pm on the 14th?  Oh, wait.  Pacific time...*runs off to Google the time difference between EST and Pacific because she thinks it is 4 hours, but...* Ok, so does that mean no later than 4 AM on the 14th EST or ..."

You see??????  Stress ball.  At 1 AM this morning I discovered that the noses and hands of three individuals had all magically shifted, so the hunt was on through 100MB of layers to find where the errant appendages had been misplaced.

Here was my progress onWednesday night - last night I added a guy, two girls, one cat, a wig and half a man.  His other half is all I have left to go.  Oh, and somehow getting this beast condensed down to a 5MB file.


The final is supposed to be in black & white, but I struggle with values so it has been easier for me to paint in color and then convert.

Are ya wondering, yet, what passage I chose?
*giggles*
(I am so wishing I had started this months ago)

6 comments:

  1. Finding a mistake in layers is so frustrating. However, this illo is so wonderful! Love the colors and characters. Good luck with the contest! I'm rooting for you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That whole time thing... yeah... sounds exactly like something I would be doing! lol I love your piece so far. I think it looks fantastic! I hope you found all those missing appendages! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, calm down. Use the FORCE Jenn-luke. It's strong in you.

    That movie Prozac Nation was on last night, and at the end Christina Ricci discovers that her writing is much better when she's just writing and not racing to write, or something like that. Wish I could remember the line but it really made sense to me.

    Your painting looks great so far. I've never heard of someone being more comfortable painting in color than B&W. Color can be overwhelming to some, that's why they teach painting in B&W before introducing a limited color palette gradually. You must have a gift. You'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it so far (from what I can tell). The windows really make it an interesting piece. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ...and I'm in the same boat... Wife and daughter are about to divorce me for ignoring them. Called in sick today! ;)

    GL you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL We love you Jenn. Oh Look, there's the onion guy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! Good feedback is always appreciated, but please keep it polite and classy.